- For Kids
- For Adults
- Adaptive TKD
- Cardio Kickboxing
Lead by example: Join our Leadership Program.
The Leadership Program at the Arlington school of Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do is designed to help our students with their leadership skills. Since one of the main themes in Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do is “Leading By Example,” we want to make sure that we are helping to build great leaders who not only have knowledge of the curriculum, but also have the confidence to express themselves and provide instruction to other students.
The Leadership Program is geared toward helping advanced students understand the benefits of teaching, with a focus on leadership qualities and teaching techniques and skills. Teens and adults may be given additional duties, since their participation may lead toward official Instructor Certification and/or becoming a Jhoon Rhee Instructor.
Details and Qualifications
- Must be a student of Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do.
- Red Belt or higher.
- Must complete 40 leadership credits before Black Belt. (Adults are only required to complete 10 total credits.)
Students may be asked to assist in a class that they are currently taking; if so, they will receive a 1/4 partial credit toward their 40 volunteer credits. This is typically a very short period of time during which they help fellow classmates with some curriculum that may be new to them.
In full credit classes, students will serve mostly as observers, helping to monitor the class. They may be asked to hold targets, pads, etc., or assist an individual student. There will be occasional Assistant Instructor classes in which the students will be taught teaching techniques that will help them with their leadership skills. Times and dates will be determined; attendance, while highly recommended, is optional.
After each class, students should bring their Leadership cards to the office to be marked for credit. At that time, they are expected to share thoughts with a staff member about what they learned by assisting that day.
How to Sign Up for Full-Credit Leadership Classes
- Be sure you have had your leadership orientation meeting and received your grey Leadership Card.
- CLICK HERE to go to the shared Google Docs sign up and fill in your name next to desired class.
- Please only reserve your spots 1 week at a time.
- Red Belts may sign up for 1 class per week.
- Brown Belts may sign up for 2 per week.
- Black Belts are not limited to sign ups.